Christmas in July?

Is it just me or does it seem that Christmas comes earlier and earlier with each passing year?

Not the date, mind you, but the decorations, the music, the shopping, and that general festive feeling that the holiday brings…

Use to, it wasn’t until a couple weeks before Christmas that everyone started putting up their trees and lights, preparing for the happy occasion. Now days, it’s the day after Thanksgiving, or maybe even before that we turn our minds to the Christmas holiday.

I was talking to a friend of mine about this just the other night. She made a good point when she said that Christmas is viewed as a joyful time and since the majority of our population live lives of quiet desparation, clinging to that joyful feeling of Christmas has almost become a way of survival. Like a band-aid on a bleeding wound, it will only work so long…

Do you think we put too much stock into the “feeling” of Christmas?

When do your Christmas decorations go up?

9 Responses to “Christmas in July?”

I think your friend is right on. Our desperate world wants to experience joy. Oh, Anna, if they only knew it doesn’t only have to happen from late November til year end.

I also find it interesting that our nation focuses on giving so much this time of year. Why not give from January through October, too? Could this be a remedy to the lack of joy that people are not experiencing which brings them to put decorations up the day after Halloween? Possibly.

Oh, and our decorations go up Thanksgiving weekend. Seth is enamored by all the lights these days. That’s one thing that gives me joy :)

• Ali says:

I wish everyone would remember the true reason for the season. We put to much into presents and all the decorations. I hope people would truly remember this year that our Savior was born on this day.

I actually don’t put up decorations anymore because it’s to much of a headache. Maybe when my kids get a little older and I have more space in my house I will start again. I guess I’m just lazy and don’t want extra work!

• Robin says:

I think you’ve just described why I don’t enjoy this holiday as much as I used to. This year, I’ve noticed that most of our family members are relaxing and not worrying so much about gift giving. It’s refreshing to me!

Cindy, I was just talking to one of my daughters about the excess Christmas giving just the other day. It’s a shame that we don’t think to give all through the year, but only at Christmas time.

Anna–the tree goes up Dec. 3. so you can be here! (and you need to post your tree story soon 😉 )

• It would be great if we ally truly knew how to experience it year round; however whatever it takes! Christmas is the New Easter!

Cindy–You said it better than I did. “Our desparate world wants to experience joy”
    Ali–I agree, though it sounds cli che the season really is all about HIM
    Robin–I will be there!
    Scott–I’m excited to see what will happen over the Christmas experiences!

• Katie says:

I think it’s funny that you addressed mom as Robin. . .

We just bought our first Christmas tree, it’s so cute!

I feel exactly the same way about Christmas. I like Thanksgiving as a holiday so much more because it’s not distorted like Christmas. For example people can still say happy thanksgiving instead of happy holidays!!

I am looking forward to making traditions in my new little family that will glorfiy Christ and His birth at Christmas!

• Abbi says:

My birthday is ‘Christmas in July’ (July 25th…and that’s the only phrase that helps my dad remember when it is! ha!) :)

I think that it starts WAY too early…I love the joy and the cheer and the fact that most everyone acts sweeter than normal, but the commercialism of it all makes me sick. I’ve noticed that each year, the decorations one can buy at the store feature fewer and fewer nativities and images of baby Jesus and more and more snowmen, reindeer, etc. Hmm.

I also like the anticipation that builds when you know a big event or holiday is coming. Decorating early and all that kinda takes away some of the BANG, you know? To me, six-eight weeks of ‘Christmas’ waters down the things that make celebrating Christmas special.

• Taylor says:

I know this post is old, but as I was going through some of your older posts, this one hit me. I was in Hobby Lobby the other day, about a week ago, and it’s June of ’08, and I’m thinking, Christmas decorations out already? I think Christmas came earlier than normal! :)

• Andy says:

For me I think Christmas lost it’s charm long ago, with all holidays and even birthdays; as I became an adult. However these days as I fall deeper in love with Yeshua I find myself looking throo far different eyes. Not at all for what I can get out of the experience but what I can give to others, with my fellow man and woman as the object of the event in stead of myself.

I think if we can just keep our eyes of Jesus and our hearts set on all the opportunities we have to share his love with the world. I think we’ll find that all times of year take on new meaning.