Confessions of a scared 21-year-old

Can I be honest?  There’s something God wants me to do and I’m not doing it.  There are several reasons why I’m not doing it.

A.  I’m scared.

B. I’m afraid of putting a lot of work into something that will never happen… and

C. I’m scared.

So… I’m scared, I’m afraid and I’m scared.

What is this thing that God wants me to do?  I hate to even say it, because it sounds so fake, so unoriginal.  I guess I worry what people will think, especially if I fail.  I suppose I’m just insecure about it all… But I can’t escape the nagging thoughts that attack my mind when the busyness of life is quieted… it’s when I’m driving, or lying awake at night…  I know this is something He is calling me to do.

So why am I running?  Can anyone help?

12 Responses to “Confessions of a scared 21-year-old”

• Libby says:

‘Be still and know that I am God’ :)

And I believe you’ll never escape the nagging thoughts. But God has definitely been showing me we can’t worry about other people and what they’ll think. And honestly, we’ll all admire you for following through.

God’s given me an idea too . . . my insecurities are trying to talk me out of it but it’s not working. :)

• Someone once told me something about worrying what other people think. “They don’t”. They’ve also told me how important it is to take risks, to “go for it”, to live freely and passionately.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being scared, unless it paralyzes you! It’s that place of being scared spitless, that makes us totally reliant on God!

• Princessjes says:

Insecurity is right, my friend! And dare i say it…lack of faith. If we truly believed we are who God says we are and believed He could do what He says he can do–even through you–would we still be afraid? I think not!

1 John 4:18– There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear,…But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.

Romans 8:31 is great encouragement… it says– …If God is for us, who can be against us?

If He has put something on your mind, you will not fail, you cannot fail. He doesn’t set us up for failure, it’s against His nature. The fear part…it’s okay. Give yourself a break. If we never had any fear, what would send us running to Him for comfort? I look forward to reading the post that tells us, “It is finished.” Remember, “I can do all things through God who comforts me.”

• Edge of my seat, lingering uhhhhh! Hmmmm! #@!$!%^

Philippians 4:13 Either we believe it or we don’t!

Thank you for all your encouragement! I know I need to just start, but just start small… it’s thinking about the whole thing all at once that has me overwhelmed… sometimes when I start thinking about it, I just shut down, because it’s too much for me to handle…

First of all, you are precious. Secondly, when I am fearful like you are right now, it’s usually because I am NOT SURE that God is calling me to do this certain thing. Sometimes I wonder if when I hear God’s voice, it’s just my thoughts instead. So, my exhortation to you is if you know God is calling you to do this, sister, run all the way and do it. Walk in faith. Faith isn’t faith until it’s all you’re holding onto.

Hosanna…that was for Adam.

• erin says:

its kind of like being a mother bird. if you hold on to your little birdie for too long you might suffocate it, it could lose its ability to grow, or it could die. this passion, this calling, this drive that you have now could get crushed in the fist that you’re holding too tight. let go of your “birdie” and let it become what it’s supposed to become. let it fly. go for it!

• gina says:

confessions of a 35 year old…. don’t wait like i did :)

• Abbi Zeliff says:

Beyond all the spiritual advice I could give regarding what I’ve learned about overcoming fear (a BIGGIE for me, as you know), some ‘practical’ advice I could offer is what I always use for myself when I am afraid to do something. I ask myself, “How much worse will I feel if I DON’T do it?”, “What’s the WORST thing that could happen? Will that ‘terrible’ thing kill me?”.

To me, as horrible as the fear is, the “What if…” or the “I wonder what could’ve happened…” is ALWAYS worse than the fear.

I doubt this helps much…but I want you to know you’re not alone. I agree with Cindy B—if you KNOW this is God prompting you to do this big thing…what is there to fear, really?! :)

Love you!!!

• I know just how you feel, Anna.

I strongly feel God calling me to plant a new church.

I’m 24. I have no official ministry experience. I haven’t been (and am not planning on going) to seminary. I’m not married (it seems like 99.9% of pastors are married with children).

I don’t know where God wants me to do this. I don’t know when. I don’t know with whom.

But I know he wants me to, and it scares the daylights out of me that I’m going to do it.

• Unfortunately, fear is a master of mine. I have known it all my life. I was taught it as one of the duties in serving the first gods of every infant. I have learned to use fear as both a shield and a weapon so often that I don’t think I could throw them away if I wanted. Fear holds me down on the bottom of my ocean of despair. It convinces me their is almost know hope at all. It laughs at the saying of the preacher I cling to, where there is life, there is hope. Fear knows I don’t have the strength and surety of the Lord of Lords and King of Kings for my hope, my strength, my salvation.
    What’s yer excuse? (grin)