I’m Free

I had a realization the other day.  I can’t save everyone.  I can’t rescue my students.  (Well, I guess I could, but it would be wrong.)

The day I felt so burdened I pulled a couple of my students into my arms and told them through a tear-choked voice,

“I’m sorry life is so hard.  I’m sorry you don’t have enough money for food.  I’m sorry parents make bad decisions and I’m sorry I can’t do anything to stop it.”

One of my students looked me in the eye and said very gently, “But you point us to God, that’s the best thing you could do.”

The tears continued to flow but now I was smiling.

She’s right.  I can’t save them from the life they live.  I can’t help the fact that they’re caught in the deadening cycle of our “me-first” culture.  If I did I might be stealing from them the lessons God is using to make them the adults He wants them to be.

He is the only one who can save them.

He is their only rescue.

I can just point the way.

10 Responses to “I’m Free”

• I can’t save them from the life they live. I can’t help the fact that they’re caught in the deadening cycle of our “me-first” culture. If I did I might be stealing from them the lessons God is using to make them the adults He wants them to be.

Well said Ms. Anna, Just Point!

And you are doing a mighty fine job of pointing.

Well put. We sow; He waters.

• “But you point us to God, that’s the best thing you could do.” Even in the darkest corners, it’s impossible to escape the fact that God really is love. I don’t think you all have to worry about stealing sin from God. He doesn’t own it.

You’ll make a great parent too, Anna. This is what parents have such a hard time doing on the other end of the spectrum. They rescue and enable to the point of robbing their children the necessary skills and instincts to protect and equip them when they get older and have kids of their own. Great blog!

Scott– Thanks!
    Cindy–Thank you so much for your encouragement!
    Hope–So true… isn’t it wonderful?
    Jimmy–God is LOVE! I love it!
    D.A–Parenting… I’ve learned from the best! 😉

• aaron says:

our job is to find truth and point others to it.
    good job!

• brittney pirtle says:

man anna, i know how you feel… its rough when you hear those heartbreaking stories… “my parents don’t care about me…” “my mother is sick…” “my apartment is flooded…” “people make fun of me because i can’t afford clothes..” geez, i hurt so bad for the students too. but thats the journey God chose to take them down, all we can do is be there to give them that hug, cry with them, and like you said… point to the only one that can save them. :-)

• Shanna Crawford says:

You are a wise woman!

• Andy says:

Such an amazing truth that is.