What does insecurity do? (2)

The next, and probably biggest thing insecurity does:

Insecurity makes me INWARDLY FOCUSED.

It is selfishness at its core.  When you’re insecure all the focus is on one person: YOU.

I can’t do this… what will they think of me?”

I’m sorry I’m causing so many problems.”

I know I’m just a big burden…”

I’m not good enough.”

“No one likes me.”

Add your own…

Insecurity is selfishness.  I’m going to take that a step further.  Insecurity is pride.

“Whoa, back the train up… you’re saying insecurity is pride?  No way.  I’m not prideful?  What do I have to be prideful about?  I have a poor self image.  There’s no way I’m prideful!”

Oh, no?  Think about this: Any preoccupation with SELF is pride.  Whether or not your self image is puffed up or deflated.  If our focus is ourselves we are prideful.  We are selfish.  We are insecure.

Do you agree?  Disagree?  What sentence would you add up there?

12 Responses to “What does insecurity do? (2)”

I couldn’t agree more. All preoccupation with self is pride. Satan has tricked us into thinking that since this preoccupation with ourselves is in a negative light that it’s okay.

It’s not. Period.

Good stuff, Anna.

• Brittney Pirtle says:

I looked up pride, and one of the best definitions I found was pride was a refusual to be humiliated. And that to me is what insecurity is about. You won’t be humiliated so you won’t admit that you need help… Goes along with pride and insecurity. You won’t face the weight problem… Again, both… You won’t face anything because of fear of humiliation and insecurity. So I couldn’t agree with you more. Good stuff annaboo

• Christi says:

I agree with you fully! In relation to God, we are “prideful” when we feel we can do it on our own. We are insecure when we think we can’t. Either way, we are taking things into our own hands and not letting God be in control.

• princessjes says:

Yes YES Anna, that’s good thoughts!

• mandy says:

yes ma’am yes ma’am yes ma’am!

i’ve found this true in my life and in the lives of others. i lead our praise team, and there are a couple of members who are not proportionally confident in their abilities. thus, they become very self-conscious and lose the freedom to really really play.

this happens to me sometimes as well, and i am easily toppled when i get insecure.

then i just have to remind myself that its NOT about me! its just not…..

• Not me!
    Well I would comment but, I don’t know what to say!

• When we are insecure about ourselves, I think it’s a big slap in the face to God.

I’m pretty sure the G-man’s like “hey, I made you! Quit saying I did a bad job!”

God made us all right but he made us with a free will. This is where the war is waged. This is where satan does all he can to defeat us, by influencing us to become insecure? Or maybe controlling? Or maybe indecisive? God does want us to make that decision to defeat everything that could come in between us and God. So He can say “well done”.

Thanks for the comments guys. This is some good discussion!

I couldn’t agree more! When we’re insecure it’s almost like saying that what God did on the cross to free us wasn’t good enough… I don’t think anyone would ever willingly say that!

• Shanna Crawford says:

I AGREE!

• […] bookmarks tagged prideful What does insecurity do? (2) saved by 5 others     grumpygrim bookmarked on 02/15/08 | […]

• morgan says:

i would comment on my opinon but i dont really have one

im just learning all this =]