To Journal or not to Journal

A lot of you might not know, but I have kept a daily journal since I was 15 years old.  That’s right, folks… I have everyday of my life on paper since I was 15.  (That’s either really awesome, or really crazy.)   Over the last few weeks (as life seems to get busier with added *cough* hott man *cough*—I mean added activities ;)) I’ve come to ask myself the question, is it beneficial for me to keep journaling?   If you knew me well, you would know that to even consider asking this question is a HUGE step.  I mean, I haven’t missed a day in 6 years!  But as I started to look into the subject more I realized a few things:

• Journaling one day takes 40 minutes!  If I get behind (which happens a lot!) those 40 minutes really add up, adding stress and even feelings of dread!
  • Journaling used to help me process things, make decisions, helped me see things in more black and white.  For the last year I’ve learned to process through talking things out, gaining wise advice, and using the thing between my shoulders more than the thing in my chest when making decisions.
  • My parents concern when I last talked about giving up the addiction—I mean habit of journaling—was that I would stop writing.  But with you guys keeping me accountable I don’t think that will happen.  In fact, I think I will have more time to devote to blogs and book writing if journaling was out of the equation.
  • Lastly, is that I really think it has become a sort of addiction.  Who’s really going to care if I stop journaling?  Who said I had to journal everyday?  Who put that restriction on me?  No one, but me.

The time has come to break free of some old habits.  I’m excited to see what will come of this new found freedom!

18 Responses to “To Journal or not to Journal”

• marcy jackson says:

very funny. EXACTLY what happened to me when i started dating Bryan. EXACTLY. i had a journal i was devoted to for years upon years. i wrote in it or wrote songs without fail. then suddenly, ehhh, not so important. haha. besides, for me, most of my journals and songs before were all about wanting and waiting for love and asking God to make me patient anyway…….so at that point, what was i gonna journal about? haha. then i started growing in different ways, and had different stuff to journal about, which i’m sure is normal. so, i do still journal, just less obsessively :)

love you anna!

• Katie says:

OH MY GOSH!!

Just kidding. . .

Journaling was for you and you only, if you want to stop then its your choice, plus you could always pick it back up again, or just not do it everyday.

You might be interested later in your life about the things happening or thoughts that you’re having right now, especially now that with all of the changes in your life recently!

• Kody Meadows says:

A hott man?! Does Cody C know?!

• Erin says:

Very brave! I’m proud of you.

• I wouldn’t give it up. 50 years from now, it’ll be worth it to look back upon them.

• mandy says:

i’ve NEVER been able to keep a journal – ’til i started blogging. that’s kinda like a non-personal journal for me.

• deleise says:

You could continue a journal and just write when something really significant happens. Then you still have the story of your life written down, just a more to the point version that doesn’t take over your life as you try to keep up.

• Theresa says:

I regret that I stopped journaling when I became busy with “life” Husband/Kids. I stopped because it stressed me out not to take the time to do it everyday. If it becomes a chore where is the benefit? Actually I agree with Deleise try to continue during significant times. I did still journal when I was carrying my son and I love to look back at how wonderful that time was. Even the entries about morning sickness. Use it as a memory keeper not a crutch! :)

Delesise–I agree… I will still keep a journal, just won’t write in it as righteously as I usually do… the highlights will still be there!

• roger says:

I think you will enjoy it more and write more important thing if you let yourself off the hook about daily entries. As you get older and your life solidifies a bit it can be hard to dig deep every day about what happened

• Abbi says:

I think your new approach will still be a great outlet for you and an amazing keepsake. Journals are a terrific way to recount feelings and struggles and triumphs (hello, marathons). I agree with the others–keep track of the biggies, but don’t let a daily journal be bondage for you…what good is THAT?

I do think it would be neat for you to chronicle all the things that happen in your relationship and how you see God working through it, crossing paths, etc. COuld be a great thing to use as an encouragement tool–showing young girls that if they are patient and wait and live their lives for the Lord, eventually a GREAT young man will sweep them off their feet!

Andrew and I even talked about this last night–making notes about how we first felt when we met, our first date, etc…we figure it will be a fun thing for us to reread and for our kids to read someday. :)

• Yes, on what Abbi said….and your mom or mil might want to read it too ; )

• Shanna Crawford says:

I journal too…but not everyday. Maybe you could journal the big things :)

• micro-journaling in twitter is the next micro-blogging. Oh, and the couple that blogs together blogs together? lol

• Ali says:

You will be glad to have those to look back on someday. How awesome will it be to be able to look back and see how far you have come and how many prayers God has answered! I have never been one to journal except when I was younger, but have recently started a prayer/verses that speak to me journal and I am loving it. At least keep it up some, I don’t think you will regret it.

• Hey, I think I remember this conversation… Deja Vu!

• chris says:

i didn’t know you were in so deep…we would have had an intervention sooner!!! no seriously, if you enjoy it…don’t stop. I would say (to keep it healthy) to limit yourself. Say 5 minutes a day. If you can’t write the important stuff from the day in 5 minutes you might need to hire a scribe. :)

• Hannah White says:

*cough* Cody *cough* haha i love messing with you!! I would say like what chris was saying.. if you like doing it dont stop. but anna, seriously, 40 minutes?? 5 – 10…
    *cough* Cody *cough*