Fear 1.0

I jumped off a 55 foot cliff last weekend.  (Yes, there was water underneath!) I was a little hesitant at first.  Looking over the edge, my toes gripped the red, sunbathed rock.  Imagining the drop shrunk my stomach, and twisted my insides.  My heart pumped like it was hooked up to a caffeine IV.  I swallowed as the chants of my friends rang in my ears. “Jump, jump, jump.”

Of course I jumped.  Stepping off the firm foundation of the rock and falling by choice was one of the most exhilarating, adrenaline pumping moments I’ve had in a while.  I live for moments like that.

Then, the other day, I heard a quote that really stuck out to me.

“There are so many things to be scared of in the world, if you just learn how scary they are.”

That’s when it hit me: fear is learned.

I really only fear two things.  Enclosed places.  And frogs.  Claustrophobia and Batrachophobia.  I don’t remember how or when, but I know these two fears were somehow learned.  Knowing that gives me hope because if something is learned, usually it can be unlearned… (more to come)

What have you learned to fear?

13 Responses to “Fear 1.0”

• ahh a blog!

Where was this?

• brittney says:

FROGS!!! snakes, spiders, grasshoppers, twitter :) lol, the list could go on for awhile… lol :)

• Theresa says:

I have learned to fear and then learned to get over my fear of not being able to get out of crowded places. I love to go to concerts and I would get to my seat and then spend 15 minutes looking all around me in frantic fear as to how I was going to get out of the arena. I would even leave before the encore so I wouldn’t have to fight the crowds.

Isn’t it amazing what we do to ourselves?

• One of my family’s stories about my childhood is about the time I decided to try riding my tricycle with one wheel on the pool water. They say I got really mad at my dad for grabbing me off just before the tricycle went under. I’m still sure it was his lack of faith that caused the tricycle to sink.
    (grin)

• Taylor says:

Ummm…. My fears. This one is weird but probably losing my voice for any period of time, because I LOVE to sing. I’ve been in music since I was in 3rd grade so it kinda just stuck. :) I also have a fear of losing passion for something that I love. I know that’s a choice more than it is a fear, but I guess it just is!

Brittney–Did you say you’re afraid of Twitter?? lol, why?

• Snakes. Umm, Snakes. Rejection.

• Katie says:

I know when you learned to be afraid of frogs. . . remember? There was a shoe.

• jabberfrog says:

monsters under the bed. you’ll still catch me doing the running jump. 😉

• mandy says:

anna: i think you’re so right about this. especially that fear is learned. i’m not a mom, and i don’t have kids, but i was once a kid. and SO many of the grown-up fears that i have, i actually learned as a kid. wow….

me? i’ve learned to fear intimacy. fear being known. fear change. fear moving. fear loneliness.

i know. it doesn’t make sense. but, in my mind it all works out somehow.

Mandy–I know what you mean… praying that you learn to overcome and jump off that cliff!

• um..i really dont like spiders. or needles. blech. but yeah! i think it’s totally learned!

• Abbi says:

I’m afraid of being surprise-attacked…you know, the kind where someone is hiding in your house in the dark, waiting for you and when you get home, they rob/rape/murder you. EEK. This is why I HATE it when people sneak up on me…even if they are trying to be funny.

It’s a wonder I live alone. 😉