You’ve Got a Friend in Me

I’m pretty lucky to have some amazing people in my life; people who are my friends, people who are unique in their own right. I have learned so much from these people and this week I will share just how they have affected my life.

Mike Hodnett

n1393607352_94841_4178.jpg

I don’t know if you’ve ever gotten the chance to meet Mike Hodnett (if not, it is a true shame,) but he is probably the most positive person I’ve ever had the opportunity to meet.

When I first met Mike he was a volunteer at the Northwest campus. When he would enter a room you would know it. Not just for being vocally enthusiastic, but also for the energy he brings with him. I’m not sure how to explain it, but the saying is true about Mike: that he really does brighten a room when he enters it.

But that’s not the lesson Mike taught me. Through Mike’s joy, and his always-positive outlook, he has taught me the important lesson that:

• Attitude is everything

Mike, like many of us, hasn’t had the easiest of lives. He’s gone through his share of heartaches and setbacks. But the difference is his attitude. After meeting Christ, Mike’s faith has continued to guide him. In less than a year Mike’s positive outlook on life has led him to a job where he gets to use his gift to lead others toward faith in Christ.

So no matter what I’m facing in life, I’ve learned that with a positive outlook I can take anything that comes my way. Mike’s example has taught me the importance of that, and I am lucky to call him one of my close friends.

What about you? How has a positive outlook or negative outlook affected your life? Have you ever met Mike, or someone like him?

9 Responses to “You’ve Got a Friend in Me”

• aaron says:

sorry for the picture, but I once read a sign my college bathroom door that read “attitude is 90% of the solution, or 90% of the problem”
    sorry to say I’ve proven that to be true for both!

Here’s to a positive future!

Mike is a great guy. I get to work side by side with him on Saturday nights. Everything you say is true about him but I know it’s his desire to glorify Christ and introduce people to Jesus that makes him who he is. You are very blessed to have him as a friend.

• ~abi~ says:

so true about mike! :) {wouldn’t our life group be boring w/out him? ;)} he is a great example of a positive attitude!

• taylor says:

i love working with mike at the ED! he is a wonderful individual. my youth pastor in high school always embedded in us that attitude is everything as well. i’m so glad that has stuck with me, and i hope to pass that on to my girls in ministry too.

• I was discussing the topic of “Mike” with someone one day and came to the conclusion that Mike, in a room full of people, can make you feel like the only one that matters to him. He knows how to focus on each person, just enough to make them feel special and “attentioned”. I have just loved Mike since the first time I met him!! There is just something about the guy…You can’t help but love him!

Stephy–In our life group, we call that ability the “Creepification” factor… Ha-ha… but I totally know what you mean!
    Abi–Our life group would be SO boring without him! I hate it when he misses!
    DA–I hear you give Mike a really hard time on Saturday nights!
    Aaron–Great quote!

• Rachizzle fo Shizzle says:

I friggin LOVE Mike! He is the craziest person i have ever met! and i mean that in the best way possible! every single time I am around Mike, I have a smile on my face. There is just no way to explain the energy that he brings with him. but I do know this, it is EXTREMELY hard to not have a smile when Mike is in the room. :)

Mike is one of my favorite people! He definitely knows how to make people feel special!